Giving birth to your baby is one of the most amazing and transformative experiences you will ever go through in your lifetime. It is the act, the moment, where you become a family.
As a doula, I am blessed to bear witness to these transformations as I help you to achieve the birth that you wish to have.
In ancient Greece the word doula meant "A woman who serves". Today it is used to describe a person who provides physical, emotional and informational support during the birth of your baby. But what does this mean?
Just as no two people are alike, no two births that we have attended are alike and the support we give our clients will change dependent on their needs at any given moment. What you are guaranteed to get no matter what your birth looks like is empowerment.
Through the work that we do prenatally and as your birth unfolds, I will encourage you to dig deep and find that inner strength and power that is already deep within you. For some that is harnessing their inner warrior. For others it's more of an inner stillness. We will also be empowering your partner to be the amazing birth partner that you know they can be. Your partner possesses something that no doula can have, a deep love for you. They know you better than anyone. Your partner has the love and I have the birth experience. Together that makes us an awesome team to support you. Often if you were to walk into a birth room you would see my client breathing through contractions while their partner stands in front of them looking into their eyes and helping them keep their focus and their doula stands behind them massaging their back or squeezing their hips.
Birth Doula Package - $2000
My Birth Package contains multiple meetings during your pregnancy for birth preparation, comprehensive labor support as well as support as you adjust to life with your newborn.
- A complementary interview where we can get to know each other and find out if I am the doula you are looking for for your birth. (At this time, due to the Coronavirus Outbreak, this meeting is offered online only.)
- An online prenatal visit at around 35 weeks to explore and discuss your priorities, hope, fears and concerns about your birth. We will talk about different variations of birth, your birth plan, your preferences regarding relaxation and pain management options both medical and otherwise, and discuss how your partner and any other family members attending the birth might best support you.
- For first time parents, a private online newborn care workshop where we will talk all things baby. We talk about the first few hours and days after your baby is born, standard hospital procedures, early breastfeeding, how to bathe, soothe and change your baby and more. This is your chance to ask any questions you may have about life with newborns. Second time parents can substitute a 60 minute prenatal massage for this.
- 20% off prenatal and postpartum massages and reflexology sessions from Seattle Pregnancy Massage until your baby turns a year old.
- Unlimited phone, email and text support throughout your pregnancy and the first few months of your baby's life.
- Support in early labor. Initially this will be via telephone and when you or your partner feel more support is needed I will join you at your home.
- Support throughout labor both at home and at your birth place. Every labor is different as are every laboring person's needs. Support may include physical comfort measures (massage, meditation, counter pressure, helping you to remain in the moment, etc), supporting your partner in how best to help you, helping you interpret what is going on should medical interventions be desired or necessary. All Seattle hospitals are currently allowing doulas to attend births. Should that policy change at any point, I will provide virtual doula support.
- The support of a backup doula should one be needed.
- Use of a TENS unit in labor should you wish to utilize one.
- Support in the first hour or two after you baby is born. I will help you with the first breastfeed and stay until you are comfortable and ready for some family time.
- Daily checkins during the first week of your baby's life during which I can answer any questions you have about the newborn period, breastfeeding, postpartum healing, postpartum emotions and life with your newborn.
- Weekly checkins for the first 6 weeks of your baby's life.
My birth doula fee is $2000 split into two installments. The first $1500 is due at the signing of the contract and guarantees your place on our calendar. The remaining $500 is due no later than the 35th week of pregnancy. At this time, all Seattle hospitals allow you to bring both your partner and a doula to your birth. Should hospital policies or rules put in place by the state change after you have hired me, to prevent me from attending your birth in person, I will support you at home during early labor and offer virtual doula support to you and your partner when you transfer to the hospital or birth center. Should hospitals restrict partners and doulas from attending births after you have hired me, (not expected but these are uncertain times), I will provide in person support to you at home during early labor and remain with your partner and support them as we provide virtual support to you together after you transfer to the hospital.
Our clients say:
A short perspective from a Dad's point of view: Emma was a phenomenal support to both my wife and I during both pregnancy and delivery. I credit the pre-birth conversations and tutorials for making us both feel more comfortable with what to expect, and how to prepare. And when the big day itself came, Emma was a champion. Emma was calm, collected, thoughtful and supportive throughout the process. She gave me great tips on how I could support my wife, in addition to directly helping with massage and other activities to ease the pains of the labor process. I think the thing that I appreciated most about having Emma there was I was able to discreetly ask questions about what was happening when the birth started to get a little dicey towards the end. Having her there allowed me to decrease my anxiety and get my questions answered without bothering the doctor or distracting my wife. And of course, that is to say nothing of the coaching and support that she gave my wife, which was also invaluable. All in all, we really, really appreciated having Emma's help with the birth of our first child" ~ Jacob